Thursday, June 3, 2010

You Are What You Read...My Life in Books Blog Hop

Thanks to Jojomama, I have stumbled upon yet another great blog; Spin Me Right Round.

Write Chick has a blog hop going on and I thought it was such a great idea that I decided to give it a go. Here is my life in books:



In preschool I wanted to be able to read The Eye Book, a Dr. Seuss book, like my older sister. I remember how important that was to me like it was yesterday. I had to copy the image of this book from the web because I don't have this book in my collection since it was my sister's book.
(The rest of the books are straight out of my collection)



Once I figured out how to read, there was no stopping me. I was an avid reader by the end of first grade. In second grade I brought Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling in for my book report. The teacher didn't know what to think. She wasn't sure if I had actually read the whole thing or not; that is, until I did the book report. I just love the stories about how the animals turned out the way they did; the elephant and his trunk, the giraffe and his neck, etc.


Around fifth grade I fell in love with Mark Twain so my mom bought me Mark Twain Unabridged for my birthday. I love to get books as presents so you can imagine how happy I was with this one. Mark Twain is the king of comedy. His stories were so great.






In junior high and high school I started reading books like Sweet Valley High series books, as well as The Babysitter's Club series books. But there was one book by Lurlene McDaniel that I favored called Too Young To Die. I had an interest in being a nurse or a doctor and so Lurlene McDaniel's books satisfied that medical interest during that time.




Something happened to my reading between junior high and high school; I moved from Utah to the High Deserts of Southern California. This was a dark period of my life, so fittingly I read dark stuff. We were also kinda broke so keeping up my reading habit was a challenge for my parents; that's why I started going through my mom's collection; this is where I found Tales of Mystery & Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe.





I moved to Hollywood, California in 1997 with $1,000 in my pocket and a dream. My dream at the time was acting and I went to The American Academy of Dramatic Arts. I was broke. But, my mom sent me with some books that were my grandmother's books. One of those books was Two Girls and A Mystery by May Hollis Barton. I was so enthralled by this book that I wanted to make a screenplay from it, so I had to do a lot of research to figure out who owned the rights to it. My search turned into a quest. I discovered at this time, that May Hollis Barton was not a real person. She was a cover for a band of ghost writers working for The Edward Stratemeyer Syndicate, which was also responsible for all the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drews. Once I got down to it, I found the screen play rights were up for grabs for only $2,500, of which I didn't have. This was a wonderful journey to take though, that's why this book lands on this list.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you decided to post with this. I absolutely LOVE old books. When my grandma passed away, she left me tons of books. I read all of them. Even though they are discolored and smell weird, I just can't get rid of them. Too bad about not being able to buy the rights for your favorite book. I'm becoming a follower. :)

    ReplyDelete