|1932 Great Depression|
|2010 Black Friday Lines|
|My Black Friday Group at Target|
I still maintain that I would rather go stand in store lines for hours than query during the holidays but that's only because at the end of the day I have the opportunity to get one over on the stores. I get to beat them at their game. I stood in line for hours and finally paid what I consider reasonable prices for toys and whatnots for my three kids and extended family.
In some ways the experience is a lot like querying. I got all the same stomach churning excitement out of the final few minutes before the doors opened at ToysRUs as I do when I get ready to hit send on a query. In those moments before I get in the store I wonder if I'm actually going to get the hot toy before someone else, or if I'm just going to come out of the whole night feeling dejected and insecure based on the comments of some stupid asshole grouped up in the line behind me. I have to put those negative thoughts behind me and remember who I'm there for, my kids. Okay, my bank account. I can get the toys in advance at a premium (or regular price but I consider it a premium) and still make my kids happy, but I feel so much better when I know I can buy $1,149 worth of toys for $552 (I saved 50% at ToysRUs, sure my cart was filled with items for my whole group but still, I saved over $500 on toys).
Now I just have to figure out how to feel as upbeat when I query. I need a way to remind myself of how I can get rid of those insecure thoughts, that feeling of panic that I might have screwed up and put the wrong agent's name in the body of the letter, or that someone else could write my story better. I guess I'll just have to remember what I go through on Black Friday and think querying is a cake walk in comparison (even if the result feels more personal than professional).
|Me in front of ToysRUs Black Friday|
IF I CAN DO THIS, THEN YOU CAN SEND THAT QUERY. . .
- Number of stores hit inside of 16 hours: 6
- Michaels: Opened 4:30pm -
- Wait time: Virtualy none.
- ToysRUs: Opened 10:00pm -
- Wait time: Outside--5 hours (4th group in line or #13-17)
- Inside checkout line--Approximately 30 minutes.
- Target: Opened 4:00am -
- Wait time: 4 hours (had a place holder in line up to 2 hours earlier, #40-45).
- Inside checkout time: 2 hours in line.
- Best Buy: Opened at 4am -
- No wait, in and out because we didn't get out of Target until after 6am.
- GameStop: Opened at 5am -
- No wait. In and out because of Target.
- ToysRUs: Second round started at 5am. In and out.
- ToysRUs: Third round. Went back at 9pm on Friday.
Woke up at 6am on Thursday, went to bed at 8:45am on Friday.
This post is a follow-up to Not Me, I Won't Query.
IT'S ALMOST THE NEW YEAR. ARE YOU READY TO START QUERYING AGAIN?