Sunday, January 30, 2011

Accurate. Not Helpful.

Let me preface this by saying I don't do book reviews. With that said, I just have to give my opinion on this book I bought recently. Haha!

Some of you already know that my mom was diagnosed with Stage IV Pancreatic Cancer three weeks ago. Once the initial shock of this news wore off I was out buying the Jack Lalanne juicer and books to go along with it. Once I found myself looking up juicing books I found myself clicking on all the recommended cancer books. I strongly urge anyone who has just discovered that they or a loved one has cancer to use caution when purchasing any of the detox books. I'm just throwing that out there.

In my sudden search for a way to extend my mother's life despite her terminal illness, I came across this book:

WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING SENDING THIS BOOK TO MY MOM? 

That's what I was asking myself when I started reading it while I was there helping her through her first week of chemo. Luckily, the book arrived while I was there and I intercepted it before she got a hold of it.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure this is a very good book for anyone WHO DOESN'T HAVE CANCER! Or, for anyone who has NEVER:
  • Used a microwave or been anywhere near a microwave when it's been on.
  • Eaten meat.
  • Eaten any type of refined sugars.
  • Breathed pure oxygen on a regular basis.
  • Had a negative thought.
  • I'll just stop here because by the time I got to the regular enemas I was done.
IF you already HAVE cancer you might FEEL like YOU are the reason you HAVE cancer, should you buy this book.

Is it true, one person gets cancer because they use a microwave and eat refined sugars while a seemingly less healthy person should get to live cancer free for eighty years or more? Seemingly healthy athletes aren't impervious to cancer either, so how did they get it? Why some and not others? NOBODY KNOWS. IT'S NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T DETOXED, THAT'S FOR SURE! (however, perhaps avoiding some of the bigger carcinogens could be of help like not smoking for instance.)

Could a detox here and there help us all out, maybe. Perhaps this book is accurate, but it's not helpful. And it's not a good idea to tell cancer patients and their families that if you had just skipped that last bowl of ice cream for a trip to an oxygen bar then maybe, just maybe you wouldn't have cancer.

Another bad idea is to suggest a chemo patient start worrying about their diet. Again, maybe accurate, not at all helpful. Chemo patients have a lot more to worry about than detox. What the hell was I thinking? I think I was focusing on the mind and spirit part of the title over the detox part.

So, all in all, a good rule of thumb here is to incorporate not eliminate during chemo. Juicing - YES! Full detox - NO! Hard to justify a detox with toxic chemicals running through your system. Kind of a funny thought actually.

EVER COME ACROSS SOME REALLY ACCURATE ADVICE THAT ENDED UP NOT BEING HELPFUL AT ALL?

(P.S. I must thank my friend, Fred, for the, "Accurate, not helpful" line.)

9 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't find anything useful in there. Detox's are only good fro preventative measures. Nothing more.

    Juicing is wonderful because you are getting an unprocessed food, therefore more nutritional value.

    I hope your mom is comfortable and getting through the chemo with fewer complications.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed the news about your mom. I hope she's faring as well as possible with the chemo. And that you both find some accurate AND helpful information out there. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your mom's cancer. Juicing is really great for you. There is so much data out there. I've always thought that you have to do what makes you feel better. That one thing might be different for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wonderful of you to try and find books to help your mom through this. And good thing you are reading them first! Good luck and a hug to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe what a bummer about that book. How did your moms treatment go?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your mum. :( And I agree that those books suck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your mom.

    Can I borrow your borrowed line? I think I could use it all day with my co-workers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom--that really stinks. I think ANY advice on how to avoid something after that something has happened is probably not helpful... It's like shutting the barn door after the horse is out. I tend to give the book The Alchemist when things are a bleak... it is a beautiful book thats main point is that the JOURNEY is more important than the destination (or that the journey is what prepares you for it).

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, I missed the news about your mom, and I am SO SORRY.
    My heart just broke for you and your mom. You, your mom and your family are in my thoughts. *hugs* I believe in the power of positive energy, so I'm sending lots of it out to your mom and you.

    I really appreciated your honesty and thoughts on this book and your frustration.
    I've heard positive things about the Crazy Sexy book by Kris Carr and saw her on Oprah a while back, but I haven't read them and not sure if they're useful in your situation.

    Big, huge hugs. If there is anything I can do, cards I can send...whatever, please let me know.
    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete