Monday, July 19, 2010

Write-Revise-Blog, a Triathlon for Writers

In honor of my husband's upcoming Ironman triathalon on July 31st, I am holding myself (and anyone who would like to join me) to a writing triathlon.

In the process, I am promoting (not that they need it) the three blogs that have sparked this new found inspirational energy I feel (where before I was peetering out with the summer heat and the marked chaos of having my three kids home for summer break).

What is an Ironman in the first place? I am a writer, not an athlete.
Sure, sure. I say this a lot. Besides my workout videos, you will not find me actively participating in any fitness competitions.

An Ironman Triathlon is, according to the Wikipedia, one of a series of triathlons organized by the World Triathlon Corporation.

It consists of a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike ride, and a 26-mile run (a marathon), completed within 17-hours and by each events cutoff time. Crazy right?

Let's just say I am interested in participating, what do I need to do (I'm not a very good swimmer just so you know)?
Let's start with what you won't be doing. You won't be getting wet, riding a bike, or running a marathon.

Okay, with that said, you will have a swim, bike, run equivalent for writing. In an Ironman Triathlon you would have 17 hours to complete the course with cut off times for each event. This is not the case here. You have until the start of WriteOnCon, August 10 (last points collected on August 9). Each event will earn you points (kept my me).

Okay, I'm stretching (my fingers), when and where do I start?
Start off by following me or by leaving me a comment (today, tomorrow, next week; start whenever) so that I know you are participating and I'll know who to give points to.

Swim = The Practice Room
Bike = Tour De Writing
Run = Elana Johnson's blog

All you have to do is go about your writing business (which hopefully included participating in The Practice Room, Tour De Writing, and giving love to Elana Johnson especially for contributing/co-hosting to WriteOnCon and Query Tracker.).

If you are following me, or have commented letting me know you are playing along, then I will keep points by looking for a comment left by you in each of the events.

That means, head over to each event and leave a comment (pertaining to their posts only). That way I'll know if you are playing along. To play my game, you must play their game or show your love for them.

Gosh, I hope I can keep up with my own regimen.

Get extra points for spreading the word. Post my link in one of your posts and then let me know in the comments.

Prizes? I'm not sure yet. I would love to give away three books. Anyone, or any newly released author have some recommendations? I'll keep you posted on the prizes.

I wish you luck.

I wish me luck.

*Insert National Anthem here*

Let the games begin.

*Insert bang here*

6 comments:

  1. I will help you keep track if you want. I love all these events and summer seems to be just the time to do it. My hubby is a marathon runner(well he was now he bikes a whole heck of a lot) and I think writers don't get nearly enough cheering on in comparison. More cowbell, I say. It takes events like this maybe! Thanks for including TPR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo-hoo! Thanks for the awesome shout out! what fun competitive writing and blogging is! Thanks for including my blog on your triathlon. Yay for scrimping up writing time with kids home for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I'm in. Even though I didn't know about the contest, I did leave comments in the Practice Room and Elana's blog. Does it still count? I'll check out Tour de writing too!
    Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina - Thanks for offering help. I agree with the cheering part. Your husband sounds pretty close to starting triathlons. If you lived nearby my husband would love a friend like your husband.

    Heather - Thanks for letting me use your blog for an event. Thanks for playing.

    Kelly - No worries, as soon as you started following me I was keeping your points. You're definitely in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alright you crazy writers. I'm not much for the written word and I can't imagine the dedication needed to write an entire book. Just remember this competition is an Ironman not a sprint. Let's see who can go the distance all the way to 8/09/2010. Good luck!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY WRITERS!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

    ReplyDelete